Wednesday 5 November 2008

The Perfect Gift


As you know I am quite new to football. Indeed those of you who have followed this blog since the start or have tracked back will know that I was initially very unenamoured (I'm not sure if that is a real word but this is my blog so I'm allowed some artistic licence) with the beautiful game.

My journey into my love affair with the world that surrounds this size 5 ball was arguably a little contrived. Which is one of the reasons I am always keen to find out how other fans came to support their teams.

Some, like my son, just see the beauty in it for themselves.

But what I hear mostly is that someone in a fan's childhood led them into that world.

Sometimes it's friends. Sometimes an older sibling.

But often it is a father or grandfather.

What made me think of this today was seeing some publicity about the "Grandparent of the Year" award.

Age Concern and Specsavers are running the competition and want people to nominate a grandparent for the award.

If I'd had a grandad - or grandma - who had taught me to love football, I would definitely have nominated them.

What better gift could you give a child?

No comments: