Monday 12 March 2007

Four Steps To Heaven


I like a challenge. Always have. Tell me I can't do something and it makes we want to do it. Except when I don't think I can do it, in which case I won't bother. Hard to know where this trait comes from. Nature or Nurture? Who am I proving something to? Myself? The World?

Anyway that's enough of deep and meaningful. Hardly a state one would expect the subject of football to evoke. So where does developing a love of football fit in the "challenges worth pursing" spectrum? Well I have to say there is some ambivalence here. Not because I doubt that I can do it although I do. More because I have such a high dislike of it (yeah well girls can't park properly - remember!). Yet I can't give up now so there is clearly some driving force. Guess I'll just have to run with it for now.

There is probably only one way to do this. It's going to involve me thinking about men for a bit. Not the worst of activities it has to be said. But specifically with regard to their relationships with football.

First thing I notice is that all the ones that are mad about football support a team. Even some of the ones that aren't mad about it. So I need to find a team to support. Next thing is that they all talk about the various big games that have been played, even if they are no relevance to their team. So I need to find out about games being played by the better teams. Another thing is they not only like to give a running commentry of the game they saw, interspersed with comments about how unlucky the team they favoured were and how the referee was a bastard. They also give a commentry on the commentry. They know all the commentators names. Never have a kind word to say about any of them. So I have to learn to have a view on every move and every decision. Finally you have to have an opinion - about everything. Everything to do with football. From whether the new England strip makes them all look like nancy boys and will never catch on to whether the 2422 formation is best. From whether that tackle was really dirty to whether girls can understand the offside rule. So I have to form an opinion - about everything.

Keeping up? Lets recap:

STEP 1: Get a team to support
STEP 2: Find out about important games being played and that have been played so that I can talk about them
STEP 3: Study moves and decisions and form a view
STEP 4: Get an opinion - about everything.

That shouldn't be too hard should it?

Next post will be about how to select a team.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm struggling a bit with 2422. Makes little sense in today's game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no manager would ever play that formation.....ever

We could discuss ?

SS

Georgina Best said...

safety spice: Thanks for the offer of a discussion with you. I can tell by your tone that you are much more advanced in 'doing' football than I am your. You have already reached the stage where you have an opinion on everything. I think I will wait until I have before we have that little talk.

Georgina