Wednesday 14 March 2007

Over The Top


Well this feels exciting. Poised on the edge of plunging into a euphoria of passion, loyalty, partisan commitment and kinsmanship.

Except I don't feel the pull. I am just standing here on the cliff top with no desire to jump. The call of the deep simply isn't calling. Maybe an expectation that the only route is the road to Damascus is unrealistic. Perhaps I am actually going to have to make a bit of effort - do some work. Create my own pathway.

I have observed people's reasons for selecting a team seem to be fairly varied and not always apparently logical. Supporting a team 'cos your dad did or because your mates do seems a bit feeble to me. Get a mind of your own I say. Plus what if like me your dad doesn't support a team?

Supporting a local team seems to have some merit. But then what if they are crap? Would I want to be associated with something second rate? I think not. I am a quality girl after all. Should I select a team on the basis that their star is currently high, knowing that there is only one way they can go - i.e.down? Do I seek a lowly team with potential and enjoy watching their ascension into football stardom? But if I judged their potential wrong and they remained lowly, I might be a laughing stock. Imagine! Ooh I shudder at the thought.

I have had a thought. It's a bit - well - contentious. A bit girlie. Could feed into some stereotypes about girls. But really it probably is quite important. The question is what colours do they wear? What is their strip? Could I for example be seen to support a team whose colours are as lifeless as black and white? I think not.

It's no good to just keep asking questions of course. I am going to have to tackle this one (Note to readers - observe how the use of football language can subtly enhance discussion of the topic. Its a clever device worth learning. Beware of being too obvious with it though). So I am off to do some research. My key criteria to select a team to support will be:
  • A team that is within the top 30 in the country
  • A team that sports a strip I like (note another clever use of 'in' language)
  • A team that I can claim some sort of geographical or autobiographical connection with
I'll post again soon and let you know how I am getting on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgina
I can't wait. Hold me back !
SS

Georgina Best said...

SS: Glad you are finding it exciting

Georgina