Thursday 15 March 2007

League Of Gentlemen


The first question is - girls football or boys football?

Now that's a dilemma.

Reasons for girls football are:
  • sisterhood
  • will quickly know more than most men on the subject
  • scribbler says some of them are good to watch
Reasons against girls football are:
  • won't provide me with good conversation on the subject with most other interested parties
  • when people say 'doing football' what they mean is boys football
  • it is our national game (spits in disgust)
Of course I could do both but if boys are to believed (which has yet to be proven) then there will be more than enough to find out about boys football alone. So for now I will swallow my girlie pride and merely keep a watching brief on the girls side of things.

So then, first step is to find out which teams are in the top 30. Let me share the outcome of my research on this subject.

There is a ranking system called Leagues. It is also known as the Football Pyramid. The best is called The Premiership (also known as the Barclay's Premiership after its sponsor). Then comes the Football League Championship (aka Coca-Cola Championship) League One (aka Coca Cola League One), then League Two (you've guessed it Coca Cola League Two). Below that is the Conference League and then various leagues below that. Players move between the leagues depending upon performance, thus all the different leagues are interconnected.

So I want to choose from all the teams in the Premiership(which has about 20 teams) and the top 10 or so in the Championship.

Wonder why the titles are that way around. Premiership reminds me of Prime Ministers and I don't think I would count them above Champions. No doubt this is one of football's many many mysteries I can only hope, with fingers firmly crossed, that I come to understand.

Next post - what do they wear?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgina
So hard to chose init?
My guess is you'll go for colour mostly. Probably some shade of green or purple. You'll be struggling though. Not many teams play in those !

SS

Georgina Best said...

SS: It is difficult. Good job I am a girl of some strength and character

Georgina