Thursday 29 March 2007

You Naughty Naughty Boys


The England football team were playing a match last night. They were playing against Andorra I think or somewhere like that. Anyway this team had only one professional player according to what I heard.

I listened to the match (or bits of it) on the radio. This was for two reasons:
  • I can easily do other stuff at the same time and tune it out if it gets boring
  • I don't have a TV
My impressions? Well the commentators (there were 3 of them) repeated themselves a lot - and I mean a lot. If they had said "They've got to get in there and open them up" one more time I had pledged myself to run naked around the block. Most striking though was that the English fans booed their team. Shouted stuff about the manager Steve McClaren (who'd be a football manager eh?).

Today those naughty booing boys have been roundly told off by the FA according to the news bulletin I just heard. A post on their website apparently. It's like school. Getting called to assembly because some boys (and it is always boys of course) have misbehaved and so there must be a public telling off.

I don't recall such action having a profound affect then. Hard to imagine it will now. But just in case anyone is listening, in the spirit of upholding pro-social behaviour (can't you just tell I used to be a Probation Officer) - YOU ARE VERY NAUGHTY BOYS!!!

That'll learn 'em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Georgi
Had you had a telly, you'd have seen a fari proportion of "girls" booing too. Of course the boo boys have been around for a while now in football.

I blame Margaret Thatcher for this. Suddenly, about 25 years ago people were told, you don't belong to a functioning tribe that has social meaning. What you are is "individuals" People looked on and wondered what this meant. Frightened to go out and be and "individual" with moral courage and strength, these people banded togehter in sub-cultural groups and became anti-social to the rest of the people who always knew they were in a group and didn't want to give it up.
It's sociology
SS

Georgina Best said...

I have written to the FA to advise them that it was not the fault of the boys at all and that in fact Margaret Thatcher is to blame.
Well somebody needed to tell them