Thursday 11 February 2010

What's The Point?


Have you ever found yourself saying something you never thought you would find yourself saying?

Not in a million years?

Such as, "Arsene Wenger - now there's a man who knows how to lose with dignity"

Or "You have to hand it to Gary Megson. He gets his teams playing beautiful football".

"It would never happen", I can hear you saying.

I would usually be the first to agree with you.

Except today it did.

Today I said to myself, "Sepp Blatter's got a point".

His suggestion that the issue of John's Terry's infidelity towards various people around him (or 'The Terrygate Affair' as some like to call it) would have been viewed differently in a Latin culture has merit.

What I don't agree with, however, is his pejorative tone in his analysis of why the "Anglo-Saxons" responded as they did.

The point is everything takes place in a sociological context.

It's not about the things that happen. It's about our reaction to them, based upon our culture and our belief systems.

So like I say, Sepp Blatter has got a point.

Just not the point.

No comments: