Wednesday 28 November 2007

May You Live In Interesting Times


When I originally selected LCFC as my team to support, my lover said "You have picked an interesting team at an interesting time in their history"

How prophetic his words were.

It has been a non-stop roller coaster since the moment I made my choice. The passion of the new owner. The drama with the various managers. The variability of performance ranging from the extremely dire to flashes of complete brilliance (a la Chelsea match for example).

Nothing has quite prepared me for tonight's news that MILAN MANDARIC HAS BEEN ARRESTED however.

It is still breaking news even though the arrests were made in dawn raids this morning. Five men have been arrested in total, including Harry Redknapp. They have all been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting. The allegations relate to the period Mandaric was at Portsmouth.

It is important to remember that at this stage these are arrests. I am not yet aware of anyone being charged. It would therefore be inappropriate for me to comment further on the specifics.

It does make you realise how close the world of football potentially is to the world of crime though. Rumours have been rife for a long time about corruption in the game, leading to the Stephens Enquiry which reported earlier this year of course. Then there were the recent arrests at Luton. Now this.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase " May you live in interesting times".

3 comments:

Jungle VIP said...

Looking through my Guardian this morning it apparently started with a tip off about unspecified matters. Police raided Rangers, Newcastle and portsmouth back in the summer. Police are talking of an "unusual" relationship between Redknapp and someone called Mckay, an agent who runs a horse racing stable.

From what I gather, this sort of high level arrest is almost unpreceedented in the game with only the examples of G Graham and Cloughie to draw upon.

However this thing shakes itself out, there will be huge implications for the foxes and I fear that Mandric´s presence at the club may well be later thought of a false dawn. I wish you well with this shambles and,truth to tell, the fans will emerge at the end of it, stronger, wiser and still able to support their team to victory.

Its not the end for your club. The assetts are too big. You must try and avoid following Leeds however.

Maybe Mr Holloway is your man after all.....has he signed a contract yet ?

JVIP

Jungle VIP said...

I found this site today and thought it might be a good reference point for stuff

http://football-corner.blogspot.com/2007_11_25_archive.html

Anonymous said...

I can't help wondering though, if he were to be charged, what would it do to Leicester City FC?