Monday 11 August 2008

Opportunity Lost Cost


One of today's footballing headlines is the payout to Ben Collett, former ManUre reserves player who was injured in a bad tackle and has since had to retire from football.

All the reports about the outcome of the court case have been fairly matter of fact but I can't help wondering if there will be any repercussions. Last season there was significant focus upon dangerous tackles and of course poor Eduardo was the victim of a particularly horrible injury.

Could this case pave the way for more litigation? Might clubs start suing each other just for losing a player to injury for a period where poor or vicious tackling is to blame? What sort of impact might that have on the way people play?

Not that I'm suggesting he did not deserve the payout. You could weep for a lad who has come up through the academy of a top team, is viewed as a potential star of the future, then has his career cut short in such a terrible way.

I wonder if anyone could be held responsible for not encouraging me into a career in football? I mean who knows - I could have been the modern day Lily Parr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always said you look good in shorts cf