Saturday 9 August 2008

Teflon Coated


A couple of things have cheesed me off today.

Firstly my new Leicester City away top has not arrived. I got home to a letter of apology from Jako, with promises I will receive it later this month.

All I can say is I had better.

Fortunately we were playing at home today so I felt justified in wearing my blue strip.

The other thing that cheesed me off was an interview Mandy gave to The Guardian. Whilst he doesn't particularly go in for 'spin' in the usual sense, which does give him considerable credibility points as far as I am concerned, I can't help thinking his account of what went wrong last year is a bit 'Teflon coated' with none of the blame sticking to him.

Not that I hold him entirely responsible. But his twenty twenty hindsight about Hollow Way is somewhat galling. The reality is that he was under considerable pressure not to sack him simply because he had dismissed so many others in such a short space of time. The problem was essentially cumulative - nosediving from the sacking of Martin Allen (which remains shrouded in mystery). I would have had just a tad more respect for him if he was a little more honest about his part in all of that, rather than the odd "maybe I had something to do with it" comment.

It's not use crying over spilt milk at the end of the day though. And it's hard to stay cross for long when your team has won a good 2 0 victory (we love you Matty Fryatt) over a team that could and should have presented a considerable challenge.

Logically of course it is complete nonsense to start predicting great things on the basis of one match. Within the context of being a football fan, however, it is entirely acceptable, if not expected.

So I confidently predict that we are in for a cracking season, where the ball will regularly slip into the goal for us, and the only sticking point will be our goalkeepers gloves.

Teflon Foxes 'til I die!!

4 comments:

Derek said...

Pleased you got your first win as did my club Swindon. Tranmere were never in the game.
Regarding your away shirt forget it
Do what the most fervant of football fans do.
GO TOPLESS.

Georgina Best said...

I'll take your word for it Derek

Anonymous said...

"predicting great things on the basis of one match ... is entirely acceptable"; for someone who supposedly doesn't "do" football you are catching on very quickly. Absolutely, agree with you re Leicester's season but I am not so sure about Reading after what I thought was a dirge of a game against N****s F****t yesterday.

Georgina Best said...

Reading do feel a bit wobbly. We'll see.