Tuesday 19 August 2008

Tales Of The Unexpected

A few unexpected things have happened today.

There was of course the appointment of John Terry as England captain, which was a surprise since virtually all the predictions I had heard were that Rio Ferdinand would be the preferred choice.

Then there was the announcement that Emmanuel Adebayor will be staying at the Arse after all, despite the summer-long speculation that he would be leaving.

I got home this evening to a letter from someone I met when I worked in a Wimpy bar aged 17 (for those of you who remember Wimpy). I haven't seen or heard from her for years so how spooky that she suddenly decided to write.

The best surprise of all though, was a telephone call from my stepson in America. As sometimes happens in families we haven't spoken for over two years directly, although we have sometimes communicated a bit via Facebook recently. The call came out of the blue but was very welcome.

We caught up on his news and talked some baby talk. And then we talked about football.

I haven't yet met his wife Betty as I was away when she came to England. But she is apparently learning about football too - the proper game that is not the American one.

Of course that means there are two people in that household that could become Chel$ea fans unless I can bring my influence to bear.

I will have to plot a strategy.

I think this calls for something unexpected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Fabio should have chosen someone with a bit more class. Wayne Rooney ?

CF