Sunday 7 October 2007

Great Expectations


Fair play to those Foxes!

Against my expectations they beat Sheffield Wednesday away yesterday 0 -2.

Interesting thing expectations. In my experience, one of the biggest reason why people fail is because expectations are unmet. Whether your own or those of other people.

Spurs' Martin Jol is certainly struggling to meet the ones placed upon him at the moment. From the various accounts, the key problem which led to the conflict between Mourinho and Abramovich was that each had such different expectations around how things should be done by the other.

What seems to happen when our expectations are thwarted is that they take on a disproportionate significance. So we lose sight of the positives and can only see failure.

Alexander Pope once said:
"Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed''

A few days ago I would probably have thought this a useful thought to apply to my fanship of The Foxes. Of course, now my expectations have been exceeded by yesterday's score, I am delighted.

Like Edward De Bono says:
"Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations."

And we have expectations about most things, often without even realising.

Take for example my experience of a few minutes ago.

As I started preparing to write this post, undertaking painstaking, detailed research, leaving no stone unturned to ensure my readers get the best possible product, I decided to Google the word "expectations"

I was unaware of any expectations around what I might find.

But I must have had. Otherwise why would I have been surprised when I looked at the first site to come up.

"That's not what I expected!" I thought.

1 comment:

Jungle VIP said...

rocking.....you've been reading my in-tray again.....growl.....jvip