Thursday 16 October 2008

Absolutely Fabulous Capello


I don't know about you but I am really cheesed off with those people who are still moaning about the England football team.

They won with considerable style last night against a team that is certainly no pushover.

Yet for some, the critical point for discussion is whether he should have bought ol' Golden Balls on or not.

Get a grip!

My take on the way England are evolving their play is that Capello is trying to develop them in a way that ensures they can play in a number of styles - not simply perfect one. If we always play 4 - 4 - 2 our opponents will soon learn that and play accordingly. What I think Capello wants is a plan B, C, D and if necessary E.

I believe it is not coincidence that in the last two matches we have scored more in the second half than in first. In the first he experiments with the system. In the second his agenda is to get the job done (i.e. beat the other team).

As you have probably guessed I am becoming a Capello fan. I'm not sure what the correct terminology for such a person is.

A Capella maybe?

4 comments:

Mosher said...

England won last night? I didn't even know they were playing.

OK, I'm in Scotland so it won't have been in TV (assuming BBC had the rights and not Sky or someone) but even the BBC's RSS feed failed to mention any coverage or results.

I don't go hunting out stories and schedules these days. I'm busy/lazy so rely on the information being "pushed" my way. And I've noticed that the Beeb's feed often misses some stories on the occasion I hear of something or check randomly myself.

I'll go check now. I don't even know who we were playing.

Anonymous said...

Mosh.....you amaze me. I know men are often thought to be non-multi-taskers, but surely, "toon" troubles can't have bewitched you that much ?

BTW, Owen out for another 10 days with a "groin" strain. I fear the worst old buddy?

GB

Mosher said...

Sad to say, but far more to think about at the moment that football. Current top of the list is exactly who at DFS I'm going to punch in the mouth for a complete wasted day waiting for the non-delivery of a sofa...

Beer Footy and Birds said...

Fabio, Steve or Sven...no contest!
He IS the best manager England have had since Venables took as to the brink of glory @ Euro '96.

I believe Fabio can & will ( and with a bit of luck, which everyone needs from time to time ) deliver.
The Circus that surrounded Sven @ the World Cup in 2006, where the WAGS ran the publicity show & were the centre of the tabloid press - was without question one of the biggest oversights in the preparation of & during a major tournament this country has ever witnessed. As for McClaren, NOT even qualifying (as he stood like a washed up duck under his umbrella) for Euro '08 was just farcicle.
Long may Fabio be the BOSS, & take us to the dizzy heights of success in 2010 where every England fan wants, needs & believes we deserve to be!