Thursday 23 October 2008

In The Eye Of The Beholder


According to the Telegraph today, Chelsea "won ugly" last night.

That's the third time I have heard that expression.

The first time was when my lover said that England had won ugly against Kazakhstan a few weeks ago.

Then last night he was chatting to Luton Andy on the phone. They agreed that Liverpool, Chel$ea and ManUre all stand a chance of winning the Prem this season because they can win ugly. The Arse on the other hand (according to these two pundits) can't and do beautiful or nothing.

I can't say I'm entirely sure quite what it means. I presume it means that a scrappy goal is as good as a magnificent one on the score sheet.

Of course there are some people who could never be considered ugly - no matter how poor the football.

4 comments:

areallaticfromthesouth said...

A goal is a goal no matter how it is scored - and at the end of the day - football is a results business.

Rob Marrs said...

Indeed. You are right that it is in the eye of the beholder - whilst I found Chelsea under Mourinho boring to watch, I'm sure Chelsea fans didn't give tuppence.

I suppose winning ugly means winning when not playing well or winning by playing a style of football that is not your usual attractive style. Even Arsenal have done this in the past - witness the 05 Cup Final, when they seemed to set out to get a draw.

I wrote this lengthy piece on the subject:

http://leftbackinthechangingroom.blogspot.com/2008/10/to-win-or-to-play-beautifully.html

Keep up the good work,

Rob

Georgina Best said...

latic: Ah - the architypal Chelsea fan.
rob: funny I never really noticed the football when the Special One was around.

Rob Marrs said...

Well, as you say it is in the eye of the beholder.

RCM