Wednesday 15 October 2008

When The Big Top Came To Town

If I was a cynical sort of girl, I might suggest that Rio Ferdinand is doing a bit of positioning to increase his long term chances of becoming the England captain.

While the cat's away...........................

In the absence of JT due to injury, he has come out to decry those wicked vixens of the footballing world - the WAGS.

Not that I disagree with him mind you. I think his analogy of the media coverage of their various antics at the 2006 World Cup being like a circus is very apt.

Certainly there are some who suggest that the presence of the WAGS in the England camp turned the players into clowns - without the funny bits. Having the women around, it would seem, was too much for some of them to juggle and the female acrobatics took the spotlight off the team and the need to be focused.

I'm not sure I go so far as to blame the WAGS for the poor performance on that occasion as some are suggesting. But like Ferdinand I welcome the recognition that it is not an appropriate place for partners.

After all I don't take my lover to work with me.

So girls - stay at home next time and keep your big tops with you. Surgically implanted or not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My feeling is that men put these women on a pedestal. Then knocked them off. As men tend to, from time to time. This particular set of women made the mistake of believing in the zeitgeist of the day. Then times move on. Inevitably, women are the losers in this. It's what happens.
CF

Anonymous said...

It probably wouldn't be such a talking point if Victoria, Cheryl and the others weren't so famous to start with...And just another thought, why not partners, wives and girlfriends (PWAGs)?

areallaticfromthesouth said...

On SSN today David Beckham said of Capello's philosophy when he and DB were at Madrid together - remember Capello dropped DB for the best part of that season Madrid won the League - when Capello needed DB he brought him back.

I bet a pound to the penny once Capello was appointed England manager old DB was on the phone to every England player telling them all he knew!