Sunday 16 December 2007

How To Make A Gourmet Meal


Seems we are not the only ones cheesed off by the Foxes performance yesterday girls.

Olly, apparently, is getting tough.

He has made it clear that he intends to bring in some new players during the transfer window. Every player in the squad has their chance to make an impression on him but they will need to get a move on. And they will need to really put their house in order.

One of the things our new manager has identified as missing is teamwork. He is able to recognise some of the reasons, including the way a whole new raft of players were brought in during the summer with apparently no attention paid to creating a sense of unity, a shared passion and vision.

I watched the Liverpool v Manchester United game this afternoon. I thought it was a great match. What stood out for me was the way United really did play as a team. Strong individuals with their signficant talent, working togther. Their goal exemplified this beautifully, with fantastic positioning and accurate placement. Each believed the others would deliver, and they did.
When I conduct recruitment interviews at work I always ask candidates what they think makes good teamwork. It's amazing how that can throw people. Most people are able to identify some elements but I am often struck by the things they leave out, such as communication and trust.

It is a real talent to be able to develop a good team. The skills required to nurture, support and develop individuals, yet always work for the greater good are not to be underestimated.

It reminds me of my cooking really. I often start with great ingredients, but somehow the way I put them together and treat them on the way results in me not realising their full potential.

It sounds as if Olly needs to improve his basic ingredients and buy in some good players. But he will need to make sure he works to a good recipe to ensure the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

So Mr Holloway, I shall put some champagne in my fridge ready to accompany the gourmet meal you are going to serve us up.

Delicious!

2 comments:

Jungle VIP said...

Why oh why oh why....does it always, invariably, come back to food with GB ?

Currently, Mr H isn't serving up anything that is remotely edible. As a cook, I know to my certain knowledge if I served up anything remotely like this

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1629779307004589752&q=memphis+soul+stew&total=14&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I'd be managing a team from Berkshire, not Leicestershire.

JVIP

Anonymous said...

Can't say I'm entirely comfortable with the food analogy (indigestion?)but an entire menu of quality dishes will be needed every weekend to get us out of the freezer and onto the dinner table.