Monday 31 December 2007

Let's Start At The Very Beginning


So two new players on the way to The Walkers.

Steve Howard of Derby is reputedly going to be transferred to LCFC for a sum of 1.5 million pounds. And Barry Hayles has been signed from Plymouth Argyle.

My lover thinks the "buy new players to build a team" is the wrong appraoch and that a more modern, strategic and successful approach is to seek young talented wannabes and develop them together as a team.

Of course he would say this being a Coppell fan. But he could have a point. Look at the way Wenger has developed his squad.

Interesting too that both Howard and Hayles are in their 30s.

Not that I am suggesting they are past it. Experience and developed skill is important within a good team. There just seems to be some merit in the notion of taking a more incremental approach rather than seeking instant returns.

It's a bit like learning an instrument I think.

I started learning the guitar about 18 months ago. I concentrated on getting to grips with stuff I could learn quickly and easily - instant returns. And that has done me well until now - I can accompany myself to quite a few songs to a reasonable standard.

Only now as I want to develop further I am finding I need to go back to basics. I can strum with my fingers but not with a pick. And I need to improve my changes and do more with my left hand to make the sounds more interesting.

So that is what I have been doing today. Strumming and strumming with my pick trying to improve the sound.

I'm not there yet. It sounds awful. I've gone backwards if anything.

But I keep at it because I believe I will improve. That gradually bit by bit my skills will develop until I am better than I ever could be based on my current ability.

So lets see who gets there first. Georgina the guitar goddess or Leicester City the toast of the East Midlands.

Have a great New Year's Eve.

1 comment:

Jungle VIP said...

Yeeeeees. Guitar skills are an important pathway to sexual and intellectual freedom......er...maybe?

Imagine serenading Jose ?

I agree with your lover regarding building small and getting bigger.

In my thinking, effective problem solving does not take place in short time frames. Indeed, some of the times set by Chairmen for Managers to turn the ship around seem to me both unrealistic and nieve.

Take your lover's example. Reel the tape back to 1995. Yes, 1995 !Your lover, sat on a bleak and miserable touchline with his young son watching Megson's lot pound the "Rzzzz" into the ground by a combination of lucky breaks and a crap refereee. yes they lost the play off's to those spawny w......s from the Reebok

It took 10 years to build finally a squad that could take on the likes of Rooney and Drogba and not forver feel disgrace in defeat.

Foxs have some way to go. Olly is a good manager, but chasing 30 year old ex-wannabee's ain't the answer Greorgy.

Happy New Year

JVIP