Wednesday 4 June 2008

Brave New World?


It had to happen sooner all later.

Even though we were - you know - the 'r' thing (I can't bring myself to say it) a few weeks ago, I have taken some comfort from the fact that we remained listed in the Championship section of the BBC Sport Football website. Somehow it made the horror of it all seem less real.

Tonight, however, I discovered they have had a reshuffle to reflect the new order of things and of course Leicester City are now on the League 1 page.

What I also realised at that moment of discovery was within 15 short months I have become a football snob.

Cheltenham, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil, Hereford, Hartlepool and so it goes on. Surely, surely, we were made for better things.

There is a famous Shakespeare quote ('The Tempest' for the literary scholars amongst you) that goes;

"O brave new world that has such people in't".

Errr........ no!

Looking on the bright side of course, lots of these teams are in the South West so I won't have to travel so far to away matches. And presumably the tickets will be cheaper.

To quote another genius, Jean-Paul Satre, "L'enfer, cest les autres" (Hell is other people).

No Jean-Paul. Hell is League One. That is why Leeds United are here too.

No comments: