Sunday 1 June 2008

Of Luck, Puck And Er......... A Cock


How awful!

Those poor unlucky people killed in that disaster at a Liberian football match.

It is a humbling reminder that whatever our small moans and groans in life there is always someone facing something far worse.

Not that I'm feeling particularly gloomy today. In fact I am really looking forward to tonight's match. I know some of the big names won't be playing but I think it will offer an interesting insight into just what Mr Capello is trying to build in the England camp, and hint at some stars of the future.

Another thing I have been doing today is preparing my lover's little caravan for us to take away on holiday. I think it is probably the smallest caravan in the world. I'll definitely have to moderate my pie eating when we are away in that.

I have also been continuing my preparations for Euro 2008. My kitchen has an increasingly French feel to it (topped off by the cheap ornamental cockeral I keep in there to annoy my lover) and the hanging garlic and onions are giving me the urge to don my beret at ever opportunity.

Ok, I made some of that up.

You've got to get excited though......haven't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least eight Liberian football fans have died in Monrovia during their country's opening qualifier for the 2010 World Cup with The Gambia. A BBC correspondent in Monrovia says many fake tickets were in circulation, leading to overcrowding at the 33,000 capacity Samuel K Doe stadium. As the problem became apparent, UN peacekeepers closed the gates to the stadium, leaving thousands outside. One fan told the BBC that Liberian police were reselling tickets to fans. "We saw people, security men, entering, getting tickets from those who had crossed over boards, jumping over the fence and bringing the same tickets back outside, selling them to people for a little or nothing," said Lee Francis, who was unable to get into the game. Liberian Football Association chief doctor Sam Harris says the fans had died of suffocation. Their bodies were taken to the country's main John F Kennedy hospital, where relatives were told to collect the bodies on Monday. The game eventually finished 1-1, with Mustapha Jarju scoring the goal for the Gambia after 17 minutes.

Awful awful news. Can't believe things like this still happen in football. RIP

Georgina Best said...

There wasn't much info about when I posted last night. Truly truly awful.