Tuesday 3 June 2008

Smash And Grab


The Special One has landed.

And he's already causing a stir, threatening to go on a smash and grab raid for key players from Chelsea at the earliest opportunity, given half a chance.

Mind you if I was a Chelsea fan I would say he is welcome to Mr Droba after his antics in the Champion's League final.

Anyway enough of Jose for now as I have little doubt he will start to feature regularly again in this blog, if only to justify to my lover why I keep staring at images and videos of him.

On to more important things, such as what my lover and I got up to last night. (Ah yes, all of a sudden I have your attention!)

You will recall our conversation about watching the end of the Trinidad and Tobego match on the web. Well he relented (probably because he read the post!) but then we couldn't find it anyway. So instead we watched a YouTube video about world cup goals.

To those of you who have been immersed in football for years, most if not all of them will be very familiar. But to a girl new to football it felt a wonderful indulgence.

Two goals in particular stand out. The first is my lover's favourite of all time. He has talked about it before but I had never even heard of the player let alone seen the goal. Apparently if I say "The Archie Gemmil goal", seasoned footie fans will know exactly what I am talking about.

It is an amazing goal - to be fair (as they say in footballing circles).

My favourite was of course, predictably, the one that turned Becks from reviled outcast into national hero. It's not just the goal but the passion of the build up through his play, the tightness of the time and the euphoria afterwards that send a shiver down the spine.

Enjoy it once more.

No comments: