Thursday 28 February 2008

Cruel To Be Kind?


I have been pondering on one of the comments made in response to one of my recent posts that football is like a soap opera (thanks paul coombes!)

If I'm honest, true to my girlie nature, it was probably those soap opera qualities that drew me into football. It was my entry point really.

But there have been a number of events recently that have made me think beyond that. One was actually another comment on this blog by Mrs Dowie ,when I had been unkind about Iain Dowie, in which he talked about a kind act by the former Coventry manager. Another was the Eduardo/Taylor incident and all the aftermath.

Football is a soap opera. There is no doubt about it. Larger than life stories that take you to the fringes of belief. The madness of life in the fast lane. The bizarre coincidences that could never happen in real life.

These events, though, have reminded me of the difference between the two. Because although there is an element of the characters 'acting', in that they project a public persona (David Beckham can't possibly look that gorgeous all the time can he?), behind the soap opera are real people with real lives. And feelings.

And the whole world is their judge and jury as they live life in the spotlight.

So my feeling when I read tonight of the generosity of spirit of Eduardo and how it is bringing comfort to Taylor, was one of warmth towards two other human beings, touched by tragedy and digging deep to recover from the wounds it has left - physical and psychological.

I have resolved to try to always bear in mind that when I am considering delivering biting satire at the expense of some hapless victim, that what I say could be hurtful.

Except, of course, in the case of Leeds United, when cruelty is entirely justified.

3 comments:

Jungle VIP said...

Dennis, also know as Skeez and SOS elsewhere has other fish to fry now.

What on earth they thought they were doing appointing him, I can't think.

My boss is a Leeds fan. Not much more to say really.

JVIP

Anonymous said...

I have disliked Leeds ever since they bought Allan Clarke from us in the summer of 1969. I was very happy that they were relegated to the third tier last year, delighted that they had pointes deducted and even happier when Dennis Wise (a man I really do not like) was appointed their manager. Because, in every Soap, you need to have people (clubs can equate to people in this analogy) that you don't like, people that you silently boo every time they appear. Leeds are one of those teams for me. It's nothing personal. Honest.

Leaves stage right, chanting

I got mentioned in a blog,
I got mentioned in a blog,
I got mentioned in a blog,
In a blog,
I got mentioned
...
fades to silence.

Georgina Best said...

jvip: the devil gets everywhere

paul coombes: You hate Leeds United. You read my blog and comment on it. I think I may be falling in love..................