Friday 25 April 2008

Scouts' Honour


One of the things that has impressed me so far about Mr Capello is that every time I see a match on TV he seems to be there. Scouting for talent.

Of course, with the TV and satellite coverage we get now of the football league there is an opportunity for the masses to spot individual talents as they emerge. And as we know every football fan could do the job of most managers better. Indeed, a recent competition in The Sun was aimed at recognising the scouting talent of fans.

Despite this, clubs still choose to employ the odd scout or two. Such as Gwyn Williams, credited with, amongst others, spotting John Terry at the age of 14.

Of course, as modern technology progresses it is not only the use of visual media and scouts that clubs have to rely upon to select suitable players. A more sinister development is the potential use of genetic tests to ascertain a player's potential.

You have to wonder where it will all end. And what may be next. Cloning perhaps?

PS: I just told my lover I had posted about Scouting and he got very excited and offered to show me his woggle. I'm off to stoke the campfire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Terry in a scout's uniform....now there's an image to conjure with !

CF