Friday 18 April 2008

The Legend Continues


Ian Wright is a legend.

I have only known this fact myself for the last nine months or so, however.

I had heard of him before of course. I even knew he was a footballer (so he must have been famous!). And I remember him having some talk show on television which I thought was simply awful. He came across as wooden and not very bright to be honest.

I re-encountered him on Talk Sport last year, initially with horror remembering my previous experience. I remember at the time my lover saying he was really great and me just not getting it.

But gradually, gradually I have grown to absolutely adore him. Its as if he has found a new medium to express himself after football. Natural - not trying to be something he thinks he should be, but just being himself.

I have also seen him a couple of times recently on Match of the Day and completely seen the person I saw before. Like a fish out of water. No great surprise then to learn that he has left the programme, inferring he had been treated like a fool.

I completely agree with what he says about the format of MOTD. It is simply awful. But if you haven't got Sky, its a lifeline to girls like me.

So what is it about the Talk Sport environment that works so well for him? Is it because it is radio? Well maybe. He certainly seems to relax knowing he does not have to perform visually. I think it has more to do with the 'laddishness' of the station though.

It's interesting really, because as I have said before, it has taken me a time to get into TS and there are still some bits I can't abide. What I love about Wrighty is his ability to 'be a lad' whilst providing a wonderful role model for men. His down to earth moral reasoning about life, his willingness to listen and to challenge constructively and his childlike sense of humour, are compelling qualities.

And to top it all he used to play football like a god. With an interesting journey into the professional side of the sport, which I will have to tell you about some other time.

The legend continues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's a dude of course and well funny. When asked about his "difficult" son.....Wrighty was heard to say

"I've told him, people judge you by the company you keep"

Good advice.

Mosher said...

One of his problems was always talking about his young 'un. Proud father is fine, but there are 21 other players out there as well...

MotD was better before I left the UK. What happened to Lineker? Now it seems that MotD 1 and 2 are both the same program. They were nicely different to each other 2 seasons ago.

I've been disappointed with the ones I've downloaded - I just skip to the match highlights and avoid the analysis. It's *far* too much like Sky now to take seriously.

Georgina Best said...

I take your point about IWs son. It's a tricky one though because in a way everyone wants to hear what he has to say about it (the human drama element) yet on the other we don't really.I think on balance it is probably the price you pay for getting him 'in the raw' rather than some polished presenting professional