Thursday 17 April 2008

Country Yokel Or Razor Sharp?


So Mr Hicks has been speaking out today.

I heard him on the radio earlier. And I have to confess I was singularly unimpressed.

His words just seemed like spin - without substance. Promises to make things better but no indication of how that might happen and widening the divisions as he did so.

It probably doesn't help that his name means "not very intelligent or interested in culture". I'm sure there is more to him of course, but whilst I think fans do recognise the inevitability that big money owners are more likely to be driven by profit than simply the passion of football, I don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive.

Indeed, if you think about it, most people trying to run a business would give their right arm to have the sort of loyal customers football clubs have in the form of fans. Getting it right means having the talent to combine sound business sense with an understanding of what your customers hold dear.

Sure football is a fickle world and sure you can't please all of the people all of the time.

But I can virtually guarantee that the very public divisions currently visible at Liverpool can only harm the club and its business potential.

Best they get themselves sorted over there - and quickly I would say. Otherwise one of two of them are going to find themselves walking alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its a bloody shambles. In my dreams the fans will take over the club and we will stay the greatest football club in the world

JVIP