Tuesday 23 September 2008

From The Sublime To The Ridiculous



I defy anyone who loves football to say they did not admire some of the beautiful play displayed by the Arse at the weekend.

I know there are times when they can appear quite mediocre and don't quite get it together. But when they do they really do.

You will probably think I'm going over the top but when I see them play like that it is truly like watching beautiful choreography. The skilled anticipation of their team mates' positioning, the cheeky little skills such as a flicking the ball backwards and dancing around their opponents.

I talked a few posts ago about the need for love in a team to be successful. Wenger clearly understands that, not just in relation to individuals but for the collective group.

The Guardian claims to have a copy of a memo written by Wenger, in which he demonstrates that being a manager is much more than simply developing technical ability.

What stark contrast then to the reported comments of Bolton captain, Kevin Nolan following that same match. He says he instructed his defenders to give Theo Walcott a "little kick" and defends his position by adding;

At the end of the day, it is a physical sport. We don’t want to be like basketballers........ We are in danger of losing that side — the roughing up of people"

I guess that's the difference between ballet shoes and wellies.

4 comments:

Derek said...

You raised the subject of beauty well let me share a little secret with you Georgie. Today I was at a meeting in Taunton and there before my very eyes was a vision of loveliness that you had to see to believe. From reading your description of yourself I thought for one brief moment it was the Foxy Lady in the flesh and I was tempted to ask for her autograph because Foxy's fame is spreading but I could not pluck up the courage

areallaticfromthesouth said...

Arsenal won 6-0 against Sheff Utd tonight with the kids and your mob won albeit on penalties against Lincoln.

Beauty and the beast both win!!

Georgina Best said...

Derek - I'm sure she'd run to an autograph. Just don't ask to see her LCFC tattoo.
areallaticfromthesouth - the Arse float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Us - we glide like a fox and erm.... bite their ankles

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of 'ol big mouth" who was heard to say of Trevor Francis, "floats like a butterfly, stings like a butterfly !"
CF