Saturday 27 September 2008

Rabid Fox


I had a nice surprise this week.

Do you remember recently I had an email from a correspondent from Nike who promised to send me a book?

Well you know how it is with these things. I only half expected to receive something.

Imagine my joy then when I got home on Thursday evening to find a card from the postman to say there was a parcel for Georgina Best waiting for collection.

I got up extra early on Friday so I could go to the collection depot on the way to work.

As I arrived I jumped out of my car and rushed towards the office.

And then it suddenly struck me.

I needed ID.

Except of course I don't have any. Not as Georgina Best.

What was I to do? There was my book waiting for me and no way of claiming it.

I looked at the man serving behind the counter as I waited in the queue. He looked tired and fed up but was trying to put on a brave face for the customers.

There's only one thing to do, I thought.

Rabid Fox.

I stepped up the counter and took a deep breath.

I said, "This is going to be complicated"

As I saw his shoulders drop with an "Oh please no. It's 7.30 in the morning" look, I knew I had him on the run.

"You see I write a football blog in the name of Georgina Best and someone from Nike wrote to me and they are sending me a book but I'm not really Georgina Best because its a made up name and so I haven't got any ID in that name but I can prove I live at that address and I can confirm it is a book although I did ask for some pink football boots but I probably didn't get them so I'm sure its a book and ...."

He sighed.

"Just sign here"

Bingo.

I skipped out of the office with my book and smile.

No comments: