Tuesday 2 September 2008

It Will All End In Tears


What do you suppose 500 billion pounds looks like?

No I can't imagine either. I think I can confidently predict I am unlikely ever to find out either.

Unlike Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim who heads up the consortium that has just bought Manchester City. For that, apparently is the extent of their wealth.

I do understand why City fans are so delighted. And you can't help but have a wry smile at the thought of Abramovich's face when he found out Robhino had been stolen from under his nose last night.

But I do have a sense of foreboding too. I am not economist but from a lay person's point of view I look at crashes in the housing market when the whole thing has been distorted by so called 'market forces. I look at the current 'credit crunch' brought about by people trading in a kind of virtual world, moving debts from one place to another until the music finally stops. And I can't help wondering what dark forces have been unleashed on the world of football.

It's not simply about what power Man City now have. It's about what others might do to try to compete.

It will all end in tears some day you mark my words.

A bit like being manager at Newcastle - allegedly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The decision on City and Robinho was really surprising. And who knows what other clubs would do in the future.

By the way, please update my url from http://footballvidsandpics.blogspot.com to http://www.footballvideosandpictures.com, thanks :)

Mosher said...

Tell me about it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, just love it ((c)KK) if Man City whipped the title away from that bunch of pretend Mancunians... but I also dislike it when a team "buys" success as Blackburn and Chelsea both did. At least Blackburn suffered for their sins.

We've already seen what happened when Chelsea ended up with billions behind them. This will only make it worse.

Anonymous said...

A question we should ask ourselves is "who defines football" ?

CF

Georgina Best said...

jeff - done

mosher - Such wise words - and from a Newcastle fan too! :-)

cf - sounds like an essay question

MaryKwizMiz said...

that's tears of laughter, innit?!?!
I havent been able to make the distinction in the last two days...

what money can buy is "things" like DirtyDenise and the "right" to drink beer in the stands..