Tuesday 6 January 2009

Football Is Life



It's been another difficult day.

As you know my dad has had an operation and is now recovering. But recovery is slow and he remains in intensive care.

With the pain though come reminders of the forces of good in the world.

The love within a family. The kindness and care of others.

And alongside those things, football.

Where does football fit?

Well as I googled to try to identify a good news story, I am hit with Beckham's Milan debut, stories about Tevez's dissatisfaction and the appointment of Nigel Cluff to Derby. So I turn to Talk Sport . They are discussing deep and important things such as what a mess Tottenham have got into over the last year and the programme about Gazza on the TV last night.

How can I take an interest in such things with the weight of life and death on my shoulders?

Maybe it's because real life is in the small, the ordinary and the everyday. A reminder that we should live every moment to the full and treasure our existence.

And what football shows me is that the game's not over until the final whistle, that a battle can have beauty within it and that strength comes in working together and mutual support.

Football is life.

3 comments:

Stroud'y ' said...

I repeat your thoughts on Life, posted a few minutes ago: "Maybe it's because real life is in the small, the ordinary and the everyday. A reminder that we should live every moment to the full and treasure our existence. And what football shows me is that the game's not over until the final whistle, that a battle can have beauty within it and that strength comes in working together and mutual support." - I have taken them to heart and decided to live them a little, in demonstration of what is possible ....... In the last few minutes I have taken the best advice and been offered World Class Coaching by a World Champion, the aim a British Championship and a the chance of a World Title within two years. You see we can apply the sentiments to any sport or life in general. Your good, very good!

Anonymous said...

Indeed so

CF

Anonymous said...

Hi ya, I just wanted to say I was very sorry to read that your father was unwell. I hope he is on the mend. Best wishes.

Of secondary importance, our Clubs meet again tomorrow night an FA Cup replay.
I shall be at Selhurst Park.....what about yourself?