Wednesday 26 March 2008

Badly Behaved Trollopes


I'm deliberately not going to mention the you-know-what game tonight. It's simply too depressing isn't it? And Becks yellow carded too.

Anyway, like I say, I'm not going to mention it.

Instead I thought I would tell you about Joanna Trollope.

In addition to being an author of some renown, she, like me, is a girl who has come to football late in life.

The downside of course is that she is a Chelsea supporter. Not all of us can make good choices I guess.

Being a girl football fan is not as unusual as some lead us to believe either. In fact if you scroll down to section 9 in that last link, you will see that in 2001 Leicester City had the largest proportion of female fans in the top flight.

Like I said I make good choices.

And the myth that girl fans are somehow better behaved than boys is soon dispelled when you get to see some of their antics.

Drinking only serves to make things worse.

So then, what have we learned tonight? It seems to be that being a foxy old trollope with a bit of life in you and a passion for football is a good thing.

I think that's where we ended up anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a woman who is a senior social work manager who has responsibility for Child-Protection in a large city in the Home Counties. She has been a Chelsea fan for at least 30 years. She's been arrested at least 3 times over that period and has barely escaped being banned from going on another couple of occasions. Her family attend with her and are known for their violence and abuse to opposing fans.

Tribal loyalties go beyond gender ?

JVIP

Georgina Best said...

Like I say - there's nothing as good as a badly behaved trollope