Sunday 23 March 2008

Brainwashed


I feel as if I have been completely engulfed in football one way or another this weekend. I've lived and breathed it.

Today, sustained by only three and a half pints of beer, a packet of mini cheddars and some scampi snacks my lover and I sat down to watch this afternoon's marathon.
We were at the pub at the bottom of the road of course. Watching it on the big screen.

I got chatting to a bloke at the bar at half time during the first match;
Bloke at bar: You don't see many Leicester City shirts round here (I was sporting mine of course - well you can't watch football without it can you?)
Me: Who do you support then?
Bloke at bar: Liverpool. I was brainwashed by my dad
Me: They aren't playing very well are they
Bloke at bar: No. I don't care as much as I used to. I used to get worked up because I was brainwashed by my dad
I felt sorry for him. I wouldn't have wanted to be a Liverpool fan today. They were woeful. And as for Mr Mascherano, it's a shame his dad didn't brainwash him into having better manners.
I got a bit fidgety during the second match (I'm not good at sitting still for long periods of time). I wanted the Arse to win but it wasn't to be and I think on balance Chelsea did deserve the victory.

All hotting up at the top now though isn't it.
As for the man at the bar today, he might have wished he wasn't a Liverpool fan and blamed his dad but I wonder what would have happened if my dad had worked harder at brainwashing me.

I'd have ended up as an lover of egg chasers and missed out on the ....er ... joy of supporting Leicester City Football Club.

Life could have been so much less painful........................................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interetingly, you say in the preamble to your blog "If I ever get to "do" football"

Its an illness. You'll never get to completely "do it" either.

Its a cracking start anyway.

I thought Raffa should have given the man from Argentina a swift kicking. However, as this story has emerged it sems pretty clear our South American has learning difficulties. So, the caution Benitez showed in condemnation of the guy, is very understandable.

JVIP