Friday 21 March 2008

Up Close And Personal


In accordance with my pursuit of broadening my learning about the beautiful game, I have been to see a Conference League match today.

My local team is Forest Green Rovers, who were at home to Woking today. So off we trotted, my lover and I, my lover wearing a pair of my purple tights under his trousers (should I be worried I wonder?)

I thought at one point I might get in for free when the car park official mistook me for Stuart Fleetwood's mother. He rumbled me though when he spotted my Leicester City shirt.

The experience was a bit confusing in some ways because although FGR are my local team, we met up with three friends of my lover, led by Luton Andy, who are Woking fans. So I found myself in the away supporters end.

I think it would be fair to say it was not quite like a visit to The Walkers. For a start off the pitch was just a few feet away. Indeed, the warm up period was something of an ordeal, with the threat of a wild ball heading your way at any moment. These fears proved well founded when at half time a stray ball hit a woman carrying a pie, a cone of chips and two coffees. Strangely, she did not seem to find the spectacle of these items flying into the air and landing on the floor nearly as funny as the rest of us.

I was treated to a running commentary from behind by a Woking fan, who clearly missed his vocation as the team manager. Expressions such as "They need to do something with the ball once they have got it" and "Make space, make space" rang in my ears.

And then there was the referee. Who was a girl! Despite the fact that all the players were bigger than her, the Woking team in particular (blimey what do they feed them on Surrey?), she took no messing.

There is something a little bit sexy about bossing all those boys about whilst you run around in shorts don't you think?

Anyway FGR won with a creditable 2 -1 final score. As we left, a lone female steward stood facing us with her back to the pitch, presumably to stave off a mass pitch invasion from the 50 or so Woking fans who had made the trip.

The rest of the day was spent with my new friends, talking about - yes you've guessed it - football. And other stuff too of course. It was a great opportunity to watch boys 'doing' football up close though. One of the three football musketeers, Bruce Grove, told a great story of how years ago he watched Jimmy Greaves score an amazing goal. Several years later Greavesie was signing books at a local shop and he took the programme from the game and got him to sign it.

Now that really is up close and personal!

6 comments:

Mosher said...

Did you get the ref's number? Sounds like my kind of girl...

"Smallest" match I've been to was probably Blackpool v Colchester. I used to go out with a ColU. supporter - for which reason I now loathe the club and have a soft spot for Ipswich Town. Anything to annoy the mental b*tch (loooong story).

Blackpool was pretty cool. About 150 fans in the ground, terraces, a few quid to get in. I can't remember the result, though.

Anonymous said...

Mosher. The girl concerned is the one Mike Newell had a go at. She was very competent.

The Bear

Mosher said...

Ah, Amy Rayner. Yeah. Hmm. Utmost respect for her, but I'd not go out with her.

Mainly as I'd never live it down if anyone found out I was dating a ref ;)

Anonymous said...

Your lover's purple tights were one of several good decisions he made yesterday. Boy was it cold. Felt sorry for the lady who lost the pie and chips - even more so for the guy next to her who had ketchup spewed over his anorak! Mind you Nick Gindre (Wokings current 2nd choice goal keeper) has a very powerful shot on him. Mention too for Ross Worner Woking's number 1 keeper who at 17 is a very good prospect! You can't be Stuart Fleetwood's Mum you;re too young! Mind you he was the difference between the 2 sides. Amy Rayner proved that Mike Newell's a dinasaur! Great day Georgina - Luton Andy

Georgina Best said...

mosher: I reckon you could be swayed if she promised to be strict with you.......

Luton Andy: As you said yesterday, I was a child bride.And yes it was a good day. Do drop by again soon x

areallaticfromthesouth said...

Stuart Fleetwood, Jeff Stelling's favourite non-league player last season for FGR, signed for Charlton in June. Do't get worried about the green tights... just get worried about the black stockings LOL