Monday 17 March 2008

Hold Your Nerve


It's a big night tonight for some. Namely Newcastle and Birmingham.

Newcastle, apparently, do not have Thierry Henri playing for them, but do have Michael Owen, who apparently needs his team mates to do their bit in order to score. Presumably then Henri could win games on his own.

I'd be down at my local watching it for sure if I didn't already have tickets to see this lot.

At the moment I feel as if I am surrounded by people who support teams under the looming threat of relegation. Me and all my fellow Foxes fans. My lover and Reading. Mosher (you feel like an old friend already) and Newcastle. I guess those of you who have been around for a while would say that is what being a football fan is all about - living with the downs as well as the ups.

I do wonder what will happen if Newcastle lose. Although I am not a big KK fan and feel Big Sam was badly treated, I also recognise that when the rot has set in it takes a while to turn things around (as at Leicester City). You wonder if the Board will feel they have no choice but to take action if tonight does not yield the desired result.

As for the Foxes, I hope Steve Howard's view that we are finally on the up is borne out in our performances over the next few weeks. The alternative leaves me with a sort of sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I must hold my nerve though. Imagine if I lost it and it drove me to this.

8 comments:

Mosher said...

Oi. Less of the "old".

*looks at wrinkles and grey hair*

Bugger. OK. I'll let you off. And there'll be more of both by 11:00 tonight.

Talking of which, time to head to the pub...

Anonymous said...

again lapsing into the bizarre with your links....you know i have my worries about you ?


Birmingham v's Toon....one one at the end of it......not really that much...one way or the other....means the rzzzz have to win with 3 points. Not draw with 1

I expect SK will be quietly pleased he's not lost. Mcliesh by comparison will be hopping mad.....he didn't win the thing....interesting juxtaposition

JVIP

Mosher said...

A fair (if annoying) result at the end of the game. BC edged the first half, we were definitely better as the second progressed, but their defence worked well.

When we played ball-to-feet we got quite far up the pitch and definitely looked a better team... until we approached the area up the middle and were shut down every time. Forget long ball - as ever, when we tried it, it failed.

Why on earth wasn't Zoggy in the starting line-up? The one thing we were missing was someone who could cross the ball as it was obvious we weren't going to get anything from a frontal attack after 20 minutes. And where was Milner?

I hate to say it, but Viduka did his bit and Barton actually put in a couple of *very* good challenges without killing anyone. I'd still rather see him in a jail cell than on a football pitch though.

Anonymous said...

For a brief moment I actually thought that supporting Newcastle was more stressful than supporting the Foxes. But I had a reality check when I saw that we play Hull City on Saturday and Newcastle play a team in the Premier league!

Mosher said...

I have no idea who we're playing at the weekend, but whoever it is better not be playing Premier League football. We're not up to that standard right now :-/

Anonymous said...

Best possible result for Reading I reckon. Now let's see if the Royal's can manage what Newcastle couldn't.

Mosher said...

What's that? Actually *win* a game?

*sob*

Georgina Best said...

mosher: I sense the pressure getting to you. Don't worry you are amongst friends

JVIP: I wasn't aware you could win with anything other than 3 points but then I am a girl.........

cunningfox: I'm thinking of changing the name of this blog to "For Fans Whose Team Who May Get Relegated"

paul coombes: Well they do have a head start. Who would you have given the choice between Coppell and Keegan?