Tuesday 18 March 2008

My Name Is Georgina And I'm A Footoholic


Dear Auntie,

I have never written to an Agony Aunt before but I think I may have a problem and I don't know who to talk to.

It started about a year ago. It was a joke to begin with, as these things often are. I was just experimenting. I thought I could stop at any time and would always be in control.

And for a while I was. Some days I hardly got involved at all. When I did I always had lots of other things going on to prevent me becoming too hooked.

But recently I am finding I have started to think about it more and more. Even when I am not actually 'doing' it, thoughts about it creep into my mind.

For example yesterday I went to see a great band. They were really rocking. And yet all I could think about was what was going on in the Newcastle/Birmingham match. It got so bad I sent my son an emergency text begging him to give me an update. Fortunately he responded fairly quickly otherwise I don't know what I would have done.

And tonight, instead of coming home and dreaming about what delicious delicacy my lover is going to cook me up for my tea I couldn't wait to get on the computer to find out the latest football news.

I have started to have panic attacks at the thought of Leicester getting relegated. I yell out loud when I am watching football on the television. I plan my weekend activities around what time various matches are on. I even dreamt that I was playing in a match the other night and scored a goal and everyone loved me.

My lover is getting worried too. He says arranging vegetables on my plate in a 4-4-2 formation is not normal behaviour. He got very cheesed off the other day when I suggested a penalty shoot out to decide who's turn it was to make the bed and has point blank refused to consider the possiblity of changing ends halfway throught the night.

Worst of all, even though I am writing to you, I don't really want to stop. If anything I want more.

Please please can you help me? I need to know if this is normal when you are a football fan or if I am going to need some sort of therapy.

Forever Blue

Georgina Best

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Epic Post. It is a creeping illness from which......you never ever recover. Good job it's just the two of us.

JVIP

Anonymous said...

Make that three of us. I'm taking two days off work so I don't miss any of the upcoming Champion's League ties during the first week of April.

Georgina Best said...

jvip: the prognosis is poor then

gina: I don't know whether to be impressed or sympathise