Thursday 31 January 2008

Is There Anything New Under The Sun?


If I tried to get away today without at least some reference to the announcement today of Capello's England squad you would probably stop calling me a football fan (that assumes you do at the moment of course).

A few surprises in there, the biggest one to me being the inclusion of Michael Owen, who has only managed one goal since October. And the exclusion of Reading's David Kitson, the highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League. I wonder if his recent behaviour off the pitch had a bearing.

As for the decision to leave Beckham out, whilst at one level I feel sad, another bit of me thinks Beckham deserves better than a token inclusion in the team for his 100th cap. If he can play in good form and have earned his place (which Capello has hinted is entirely possible), the experience will ultimately have far more personal value.

In the meantime David, if you are reading this and need a little TLC to make it all better just let me know.........

There I've done it now so let's talk about what I really want to discuss, which is the coup being planned by Liverpool supporters to oust Hicks and Gillett. It is obviously very early days but if it were to come off, the ramifications for English football would be massive.

It's not a new concept - in fact it already works well on the Continent, but it would certainly be a first for the Premier League.

Indeed when you get down to it, there is probably nothing completely new under the sun. But things do come in different shades and flavours. Like the new look England squad. Without its usual topping.

1 comment:

Jungle VIP said...

oh oh oh......if only Liverpool Fans would do this. I'd contribute for certain. We're back on familiar territory Georgina. The big question....is Big Capitalism ruining football ?

It's a great post

JVIP