Wednesday 30 January 2008

Handbags At Dawn


I'm not usually prone to schadenfreude as you know, but I can't help a wry smile about the antics at Newcastle. Keegan is adamant that the appointment of Dennis Wise as Executive Director of Football was no surprise to him and that his position as manager has not been undermined.

I can't help feeling that he protesteth a little too much though. What do you think? I see handbags at dawn.

Much more interesting though, I think, is the immienent announcement of the England team for the forthcoming friendly against Switzerland on February 6th.

Will he or won't he include Beckham, if only for the one match. Many notable voices are speaking out in support of him getting his 100th cap for England, joining the elite group comprising Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Billy Wright and Peter Shilton. Voices such as that of Sir Alex Ferguson, Steve McLaren and Sven Goran Eriksson.

And who will be Captain? I favour Gerrard.

As for other players, I would have David James in goal and Rooney would definitely feature. Be good to see some new faces too though. Kitson, Bentley and Young must be contenders.

And what of those who don't get picked and think they should? More handbags at dawn perhaps?

Oh well - not long to wait now. I will just have to manage my excitement somehow in the meantime.

1 comment:

Jungle VIP said...

I'd say you're right about Keegan and Wise. It certainly won't be, a re-run of that famous classic "bring me sunshine"

As for Beckham playing, if I was Mr C, I'd be saying "not good enough at the moment......but when he's fit, there's every chance he will be helping us qualify for the World Cup" Sod sentiment.

JVIP