Thursday 29 May 2008

Who Should I Cheer For?


I don't know about you but one of the things I like about football is no matter what happens there is always something new to look forward to.

Even after the main season ended we had the Champions' League Final, the play-offs for the various leagues and last night the friendly against USA.

Talking of which, and to digress for a moment, I though Hargreaves should have been MOTM, loved the potential of the Defoe/Rooney partnership even thought it didn't really come off last night and Peter Crouch is still my favourite bendy man.

Anyway back to things to look forward to.

In a world where things are as they should be me and my fellow England fans would, of course, be getting excited about our campaign in the forthcoming Euro 2008. You can't have helped by notice the slightly desperate attempts by the BBC to get us interested by choosing another team to support. Whilst their persistent somewhat transparent attempts to kindle our enthusiasm are a little irritating, my experience tells me the competition will be more interesting and enjoyable if I have some sort of 'stake' in it, albeit through a temporary allegiance to a team who at a future time will become an enemy.

But how do I choose? Who should I cheer for?

Well as luck would have it I received an email today from someone with a solution to this problem. No need to go down the route of getting photos of all the teams and seeing who had the best eye candy in the pack. I no longer have to think about the colour of strips or if I like the food of the country.

What my correspondent suggests is an ethical approach. So taking account of each nation's 'green' and other credentials.

According to the analysis I should be supporting Sven's lot.

I'll probably opt for France though and plant a couple of trees instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going for Spain because I think they deserve to do well. Perhaps if they start to win the odd trophy now and again they'll begin to root out the racism in Spanish Football. France is a really good shout though.

GB

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is easy. I support Reading, Marek Matějovský plays for Reading, Marek Matějovský plays for the Czech Republic, the Czech Republic are in Euro 2008 therefore I support Czech Republic, QED as us maths types say.

Anonymous said...

hi please update my url to http://www.footballvideosandpictures.com, thanks. I like England but I think spain will win