Saturday 12 July 2008

Something For The Weekend


Hands up if you hate food shopping.

Me too.

It's a miserable fact of life though isn't it. It's got to be done.

That task and a variety of others are the reason I didn't get time to post yesterday.

My lover says I have a "supermarket face" (which coincidentally is very similar to his "going up hills face"). He, bizarrely, seems to quite like the experience.

I have discovered there is only one sure way to make such a trip bearable.

No, not a raid on the chocolate at the checkout counter (although that is always a welcome distraction). Nor bombing around the shop using the trolley as a scooter (despite the almost overwhelming temptation on occasions).

The only way to survive a visit to the supermarket for me these days is to come out clutching my copy of "FourFourTwo".

I've been buying it for the last few months. It proved particularly useful for Euro 2008 and offers yet another learning opportunity to a girl trying to backfill forty something years of neglect in the football knowledge department.

The latest edition includes a FREE 36 page magazine, compellingly entitled, "FourFourTwo Weekend Wonders - inside the magically mediocre world of Sunday League".

In the absence of any football on this Saturday afternoon, therefore, I will be reading about the 20 rules of Sunday League gaffership (which include "Get a big coat" and "Get your shouting sorted"), a profile of FC Fossa, the worst five-a-side team ever (the first line of the article reads "Yeah, we are pretty s**t") and the wealth of opportunities out there for everyone to get involved (amputee football, blind football, refugee football, Jewish football, gay football , and of course not forgetting dwarf football)

Whoever said Saturdays are boring?

3 comments:

areallaticfromthesouth said...

Shop online - saves time and you can do other things LOL LOL

Derek said...

Sunday football brings back not too pleasant memories for me. You would often play with a few knocks that you picked up on the Saturday and the slightest tackle you received was invariably painful so you responded by trying to kick s**t out of each other for the full 90 minutes. Our league's officials attempted to curtail this by introducing a Fair Play points system. The trouble was we had a Polish team and their players never got booked because the refs could not spell their names, so they always won the trophy. Supermarket shopping is no sweat. My wife writes out a list, I then edit this into the order of where the produce is stacked, belt around like an idiot and am back home in no time. It also saves money because you never get tempted to buy goods you do not really want.

Georgina Best said...

areallaticfromthesouth - Great idea! Now all I have to do is persuade my lover staying home is better.....mmmm... I'm sure I'll think of something.

derek - Rearranging shopping lists is probably one step too far! A list is a good idea though. I don't usually take one with the result that if I shop when I'm not hungry I hardly buy anything whereas is I shop when I'm hungry it costs a fortune.