Saturday 5 July 2008

Keeping It Up


It's a bit boring in the world of footy at the moment to be honest isn't?


I mean I know there is all the transfer stuff and other shenanigans, but it's not the same as when the season is underway and you are engaged in the emotion of the fate of your team.


What is a girl to do to keep her spirits up?


I'm a great believer that we are all responsible for our own happiness in life ultimately.


Which is why when my daughter and I went shopping today and bought me first football.


Accustomed to her mother's somewhat unusual quirks, I'm pleased to say my daughter suspended any thoughts she might have had about the oddness of this behaviour and helped me choose something suitable.


With the advise of one of my reader's, Derek (see comment on this post), in my mind, I have purchased a lovely shiny white one with navy markings. Size 5.


Now don't fret that I'm jumping ahead of myself here. I know I probably have a little way to go before I am ready to grace a pitch.


But what better way could there be to lift my spirits than a bit of keepie uppie?


I've had a little go.


It's not easy is it?


If you've never tried then now's the time girls.


Anyway I'll keep you posted on my progress.


And let you know when I can do this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I agree: it's a bit dull out there at the moment, but after 3 weeks of Euro glory, that's not such a bad thing. I love the game, but I need a break.

Do let us know once you've mastered a trick or two!

Georgina Best said...

I certainly will. A girl always needs a trick or two up her sleeve

Derek said...

Great news that you have purchased a football and you will be endevouring to master the "keepie uppie" Many years ago, possibly before you were born, there was a young lad on the books of Crystal Palace that was skilled in keeping the ball up and would often give demonstations before the game and sometimes at half time. I do not think he ever made it to the first team but his skills, in those days , were looked on with a great amount of awe by the crowd. Suffice to say this was with a leather ball which when wet weighed a ton. Now the young kids using the modern balls and after watching there heroes on T.V. would be even better than the Crystal Palace lad.
Keep practising Georgie and who knows we may even see you on Britains Got Talent. The last chap doing "keepie uppie" blew it in the final. I have not very pleasant memmories of the leather it was heavy, when wet, as a goalkeeper with only woollen gloves you had a job to catch and hold it. Sometime when we meet up I will tell you of a charity game I played in against a Show Biz XI at Poole which included Billy Wright the ex England captain the first man to get 100 caps but you may not want to hear the ramblings of a lover of the game that never quite made it.

Unknown said...

Good luck. And as with all things practice do makes perfect. I personally fail at life in keepie uppie... I should practice though. Ah well.

Anonymous said...

Derek

Can you remember any footballer who has had brain injury through heading the old balls around....I think there was one ?

CF

Derek said...

Yes Ibelieve a player called Astle, I cannot remember his first name, but he played for W.B.A. and scored in the cup final. I think he died, quite a few tears later, but still a relatively young man as a result of constantly heading the leather ball. Just remembered he was called Geoff Astle. Had a senior moment but it came back. Hope this helps.