Tuesday 22 July 2008

Mighty Oaks From Little Acorns Grow


I was listening to Talk Sport on the way home from work today, as is my wont occasionally.

To my surprise I found myself agreeing with Adrian Durham. He was talking about the need for there to be long term investment in teams, where management takes a more strategic view of building for the future.

I'm sure he is right. But in this world of instant gratification, the pressure to deliver immediate results is massive.

The question is are long term investment and instant gratification mutually exclusive.

Not in the world of gardening it would seem.

So this is a message for all football managers out there.

Enjoy the blossom and the fruit. But don't forget to nurture your seedlings and undertake regular pruning.

Oh and the odd dollop of horse manure might help too. Or in this case bulls'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh George, I so agree x

GB

Anonymous said...

This was what I thought the acedemies were supposed to do. When they were first suggested I was surprised that they didn't already exist. It seemed obvious to me that the cost of developing a player would be far less than buying one in and one would get some loyalty into the bargain. However, using Reading and Leicester as examples, I can't honestly say that the academies have been successful in the way I expected.

areallaticfromthesouth said...

Acorns = Shirt sponsors of Aston Villa free of charge for next season.

Acorns is the name of a Childrens Hospice well known throughout the West Midlands

Derek said...

I could not agree more about developing the youth we at Swindon in the past year have sold 2 lads of 17 for £1m each. This helped keep the club solvent. We have another 17 year old Sean Morrison and Harry Rednap is already showing an interest. The lad is a central defender 6ft 3" and built like a brick s**t House
I read yesterday that Leicester have engaged 5 more scouts. Is it true that Baden-Powell is their manager?

Georgina Best said...

GB: It's always a wise move to agree with girls

Paul Coombes: Clearly something is still wrong at the roots. Either that or the England team have Dutch Elm disease

Areallaticfromthesouth:It's also a lump on your foot

Derek: It is. I've seen a picture of his woggle